Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have separated from my partner but still hold a set of keys

Customer Question

I have separated from my partner but still hold a set of keys to her property. Is it illegal to enter her property to retrieve my personal belongings
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please confirm if you are married to her, and whose name the property is in? Also if you are not married, is there a cohabitation agreement? What were the reasons for you leaving the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were not married. The property is a council property in her name only.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
When did you leave and what were the reasons for leaving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left 2nd January. We just had our differences and weren't getting on.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. As the property is in her sole name and you have now separated and vacated the property you should not use the key that you have to return to the property.
I would suggest that you contact her to agree an amicable time for you to attend to collect your belongings. Returning to the property without her knowing may escalate the issue as you no longer have a right to live there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't go when she is there. Last time this happened I was held in the property against my will and she assaulted me
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Did the police get involved regarding the assault? If so they should be able to assist and attend with you to collect your belongings. If not then you could contact them and explain the situation and you require an independent person to attend as you fear for your safety when returning.
If the police refuse to assist, you can ask a friend or member of family who is amicable with both of you to attend for the purposes of collecting your belongings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police were asked the same questions I'm asking you but said they could do nothing as it was a civil matter.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
An assault on you and fear of being held captive is not a civil matter - it is a criminal matter and if this was reported to the police they should assist you returning to the property to collect your belongings.
If they do not help, then again I would suggest a third-party be asked to attend with you to prevent an incident happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for your time.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
No worries, please do come back if there are further issues in the future - you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris.