LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been accused of assault against my girlfriend she hasn't

Customer Question

I have been accused of assault against my girlfriend she hasn't made a statement nor is she pressing any charges we are still friends why is it going to court
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
Probably because she signed a police notebook at the time of the original incident and police attendance without realising that this can count as a statement for court purposes (or perhaps because there was another witness present).
You will almost certainly have a bail condition not to contact her so if you are still in contact you are at risk of arrest. If she (without any prompting from you) contacts the police or perhaps attends court (not with you) on the 19th and tells the prosecutor she doesn't want the case to go ahead and does no wish to co-operate then perhaps the case will stop. She, however does not control the case the CPS do. They generally have a policy of proceeding with all domestic violence allegations.
In terms of representation at the 1st hearing (is this what 19.01.16 is?), you will be entitled to free representation by the duty solicitor. This is not means tested. However, although most Duty Sols know what they are doing they will be busy and will have a number of other clients to represent. Do not even think about representing yourself at trial. If you are successful (and in most situations like this you would be then you will get most of your legal costs back).
I hope this answer is helpful but please ask a further question if needed and also please remember to rate my answer.