Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a question regarding a property. My ex partner and

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding a property. My ex partner and I would like to get his name removed from the deeds to the house. It was only added a few months ago. But now he has terminated the relationship he wishes to have it removed. So I can remortgage the house to pay him back the money he put into the house.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Are you married to him? Is his name also on the mortgage? If you are not married is there a deed of trust in place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris
No we were never married and the mortgage was in my slow name. Three years ago we paid the outstanding amount off. A few months he requested his name to be added to the deeds so I did. Now he has terminated the relationship and wants his money and name removed. We are still on speaking terms at the moment but really need to get a jump on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps I don't know what a deed of trust is.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. A deed of trust is formal confirmation of how property will be held and in what shares.
Given that there is currently no mortgage on the property, it makes the process easier. You will need to undertake a transfer of equity and there are numerous forms to potentially fill in, depending on the circumstances and what is on the title. You can follow the procedure here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1/guidance-completing-form-tr1-for-the-transfer-of-registered-property which outlines all the relevant forms you need to complete depending on the details of the title.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!