29905560

I was looking to have a dinner party son's 2nd birthday

Customer Question

I was looking to have a dinner party for my son's 2nd birthday at a popular indian restaurant. A month before I contacted the restaurant and asked if I could book a table for 20-40 guests for Saturday, 9 January. During this time a family member was suddenly taken ill and I informed the restaurant manager that due to my uncle's poor health I don't think guests will turn up and the Manager put pressure on me that I had to put down a deposit for £500 if I wanted to reserve a table for 20-40 guests. In his text he mentioned that if the turnout was less than 20-40 guests he was going to refund my money back.
On Monday, 28 December, our family member died. With his sudden death, I informed the Manager that only 5 members are attending and he then mentioned that the deposit money I put down is non refundable, but his text contradicts this. I can asked him: if the turnout is less will I get my money back, and his response was 'Yes'
Can you please advise me?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello did you attend in the end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Ben. This morning when I informed him that only 4 guests will be attending. He said that the £500 I paid him is now non refundable. No contracts were signed. I've only got a text message from him stating that he will only charge me for the number of turnouts on the day. When I said that he's contradicting his text messages, he said he'll call me back after reviewing his texts and speaking to his partners.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so are you still going to attend even if only 5 people are there?