Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My Ltd company has just received a County Court claim from

Customer Question

Hi my Ltd company has just received a County Court claim from from an unhappy customer, who wishes to sue us for over double what he was originally trying to make us refund him - this pushes it from the SCC to the County court and I only have a few days left to respond - we don't have the sort of budget needed for representation and we hoped if it ended up in court it would at least be kept at a reasonable amount so we could represent ourselves at the SCC. We only agree with a small part of the claim against us and also feel we should counter sue as the customer in question had several discounts for the elements of work he was happy with.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks Jenny my first question is can I challenge the course the claimant has taken prior to responding? He originally wanted £8k back for £5k worth of work we undertook. We offered him £3k back before he got the courts involved along with several other gestures amounting to approx £2k (so £5k total) He is now suing us for the £8k plus a further £8.5k for his time and the costs of another company undertaking what we offered as a goodwill gesture (stripping the paint off the car and housing the car until another painters could fit the work in etc). I expected his claim to be £8k in court - so small claims court and representing ourselves - but the size of his claim is nearly £17k at the County Court.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Has he actually amended his claim or just claimed more than you thought he would?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to keep it slightly vague as I don't want all these details published online - can you help?He claimed more than I thought - he only paid £5k for an £8k piece of work we undertook as we were keen to get his vehicle in a magazine etc - then when he wasn't happy he told us he wanted the full £8k back, in writing.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to advise you when I don't undertstand the full details. I will offer additional service to take this offline so that the information will not be seen on the internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just paid the additional £38
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi can you see my phone number above?