12826847

I took out new home insurance on 1st of April 2015. I then

I took out new home insurance on 1st of April 2015. I then made a claim in October 2015, as some camera equipment and other items. The Value of the equipment was about 1600.00 pounds. When stream service come to investigate he asked if anyone in the house hold had any criminal convection, I answered yes as my husband has, so they said they would not pay out. They then cancelled the insurance saying that I have not been covered I have not had a refund for any payments I have already paid, Since I took out the policy I would like to know where I stand with regards ***** ***** please help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if they are allowed to do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I was the one on the phone they were asking the question I answer them honesty I do not have any conviction so how can they change it when I have to make a claim
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Probably because they are saying a policy of home insurance covers anybody who lives in the house.
If he does have a conviction, does live at the address and this was not disclosed at the time of the policy then that is a relevant non disclosure and they are entitled to cancel insurance on that basis.
The fact that you are the person who took out the policy is a non issue. The policy covers anybody who lives at the address and they are entitled to know the criminal background of any such person.
Of course, if they did not ask or that was not a term then that is different. You would need to check the contract to get to the bottom of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. but what about the payments I have already made and not been refunded. and what about future household insurance. So will not be able to to get the ombudsman involved ???
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can always complain to the Ombudsman. Nobody can stop you doing that.
However, if they did ask about criminal records and this was not disclosed then that it a relevant non disclosure.
Refunds are more arguable. They could argue that you have received a service from them and so should be liable to pay for that. I think it is possible to argue that you have not and anyway, even if you have received a service, you have not been insured and so the actual cost would be far less. The Ombudsman could decide either way on that point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help Iwill try them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/