12826847

My partner and I separated recently and she took the dog

Hi - my partner and I separated recently and she took the dog with her. The KK registration for the dog is joint between her and I, but I bought the dog. Have tried negotiating with her but to no avail. It sounds trivial but the dog is very important to me and was taken from my home whilst I was in hospital being treated for cancer. I am now at the stage where I need legal help but none of my local solicitors will touch the case; Can anyone suggest a solicitor who can represent me in this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This is a family pet I presume?How old is he?How long have you had him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, family pet. she is 18 months old, bought as a puppy
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much did you pay?
To whom is she microchipped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£550; (I paid) I think she is microchipped to parter but Kennel Club registered to us both. When partner left she took all of the paperwork
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Any high street solicitor will deal with this. You can try this firm if you want specialism
http://doglaw.co.uk/
However, it is a simple enough application.
You need to apply for a declaration of ownership and a consequent possession order.
The problem that you may have here is that a Judge could say that your dog was a jointly owned asset of the relationship and order that she be sold and the proceeds split between you. Dogs don't have much legal value so you rarely recover anything and anyway the money is not what either party wants. Sometimes the threat of an order can force the parties to agree which one is to keep the dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that is great, many thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.