12826847

I know a particularly unpleasant individual who committed 1

Customer Question

I know a particularly unpleasant individual who committed 1 act of ABH, 3 counts of attempted rape (reduced to serious sexual assault), harassment and threats to kill.
He was expected to serve 8-10 years however was released after 5 months due to a plea bargain. He was only given a 2 year suspended sentence.
I would like to know what the legal standpoint is on publishing on social media/hard copy media facts and supporting pictures of his crimes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is mainly to warn people that he is a particularly dangerous and violent individual and to create a greater awareness of domestic abuse.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I really wouldn't suggest that. It is possible that it could be argued it amounts to harassment.
The other problem is that he did not receive a suspended sentence for those offences as it would not address the offence. A lesser offence was clearly accepted so it would be risky to comment on this in case you say something untrue or misleading giving him a claim against you.
He could certainly seek an order forcing the removal of the posts at your cost and there are offences of incitement that would apply.
Don't get involved in this.