75100385

I have recently been questioned by the police (voluntary attendance

I have recently been questioned by the police (voluntary attendance at police station for questioning) following an allegation from an ex-partner on harassment and computer misuse.
The police have now contacted me that they are not, following reviewing the evidence of both statements, not progressing with the case.
I would like to know if I have a case against my ex-partner for slander?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
In reality no. In order to bring a case under the Defamation Act 2013 you would need to show serious harm. If you can't show serious harm then any claim would fail.
Even if you can get over that then proceedings would be in the High Court. If defended then it will cost you circa £20,000 or so to get it to trial as proceedings are specialised.
If you lost then you would have to pay the costs of the other side, so your exposure is over £40,000.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you necessarily want or the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, thank you for the help.
We both work together and this is causing me serious harm, mentally. The relationship ended in March 15 but still it's on going.
I did not know that she had gone to the Police about any of this until I was asked to be interviewed, I informed work of this and they suspended me until the investigation was concluded.
I understand the exposure, is high court the only way this could be heard? And what evidence do i need, is the Police questioning enough? Can we request the statement she made to the police of the allegations?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you have been to the GP and diagnosed with depression or had a psychiatric assessment then you may have a claim.
High Court is the ONLY Court this can be heard at - these are the rules and the costs you are exposed to are around £40,000.
You would need evidence of false statements and serious harm.
I hope that helps