Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am the sole shareholder of a limited company and I

I am the sole shareholder of a limited company and I want to transfer my shares to my husband. How do I do this
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much are the shares worth? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the company has been a dormant company and was in my name only. I have changed the director over to my husband and he want's to trade it now.

I suppose the shares are worth a peppercorn £1

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. To make the transfer of legal ownership you need to fill in a form CON40G and file it with the company books. You then need to update the company books, issue a share certificate to your husband (or he can do that himself), and then update the shareholder register when you next file an annual return. http://www.oyezstore.co.uk/legal_form_5806/Stock_Transfer_Form_(Transfer_by_Company)_-_[STOCK_G]_.htm - this is what the form looks like, but you may be able to get it for free from somewhere else on the internet. If the shares are worth less than £1000 (as you say) you will need to certify on the back of the form that you are not paying stamp duty on them.The form does not need to be filed anywhere it is just an instrument of transfer your husband can use to evidence that you sold him the shares. Kind regards AJ