Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son has a child who was born in Spain to a Spanish mother.

Customer Question

My son has a child who was born in Spain to a Spanish mother. My son has no contact with them. I have received a letter from the mother of my grandson explaining that in order to get a passport for him my son has to either give her 'power of attorney' or go to the Spanish Embassy to sign some special document. A trip to the embassy is out of the question so is there some way we can do this with a local solicitor? My son has no problem with giving up his rights as a parent.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Do they all live in England or Wales?
If they do and this is an application only for a passport for the child, your son can write a letter and have it witnessed and counter-signed by a solicitor for her to take with her to the Embassy.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the mother and child live in Spain, my son lives in England.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. He will have to sign the passport application and a "power of attorney" as suggested by the mother will not be enough. The best way to deal with would be for the mother to send the completed passport application to your son to countersign and for him to provide a signed letter countersigned by a solicitor with the application back to the mother.