12826847

Does a Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officer have to serve

Does a Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officer have to serve you notice before they come to see you. And do they have right of entry without your permission?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Hello what are they attending for exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I lost a court case (which I should really appeal but haven't got the energy) and the defendants were awarded costs (amounts to just under £6,000) I haven't got the money.

I have sent an affadavit to the Defendants and the Court stating that I have no assets nor money (I am now on benefits).

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you made an application to pay in instalments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, to be honest I am not in a position to make any payments, I am on benefits and disabled.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
You can always make an application to pay a nominal sum.
In terms of notice, they should really write to you first but the fact that they haven't doesn't mean they cannot. It just affects what can be charged arguably.
They cannot gain entry save through open or unlocked doors or windows. Bailiffs have been known to force open doors and then claim them to be insecure but they shouldn't do that.
They can get warrants to gain entry but they won't have done that and they are unlikely to do so. It is not in their interests usually. Most people don't keep property at their address worth seizing.
Their target will be any vehicle that you own.