Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am not sure if smoke from a wood burner installed

Hello. I am not sure if smoke from a wood burner installed at my neighbours approx Nov 2015 is located from my neighbours chimney or another outlet. However, I do know that I can strongly smell smoke in our bedroom at night time and that my throat feels dry and sore in the morning. What should I do next, apart from taping up our bedroom windows I do not want to cause unnecessary problems. Incidentally our neighbour on the other side has one too and I am very worried about our health.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Please bear with me for a few minutes while I type an answer.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is always best to try and resolve problems informally and usually the best solution can be achieved simply by talking to your neighbour. I would suggest the following steps:Try to solve the problem informally by talking to them.If your neighbour is a tenant, you could contact their landlord.You could use a mediation service if raising the issue informally doesn’t work.If the dispute involves a statutory nuisance (something like loud music or barking dogs), you can make a complaint to your local council.Contact the police if your neighbour is breaking the law by being violent or harassing you.As a last resort you can take legal action through the courts.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is always best to try and resolve problems informally and usually the best solution can be achieved simply by talking to your neighbour. I would suggest the following steps:Try to solve the problem informally by talking to them.If your neighbour is a tenant, you could contact their landlord.You could use a mediation service if raising the issue informally doesn’t work.If the dispute involves a statutory nuisance (something like loud music or barking dogs), you can make a complaint to your local council.As a last resort you can take legal action through the courts for nuisance and get an injunction to stop them using the burner and get compensation for any damage you have suffered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the service. very clear thanks. ***** do not wish to enter in to a Membership and have emailed accordingly.