Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Buachaill,thanks answer. Are you saying that

HICustomerthanks for your answer.
Are you saying that by the end of 2016 even though I haven't been married to my British husband for a period of 5 years in total that I can apply for indefinite to Leave?
If not which leave are you referring to?
I have been in the UK for 11 years (some periods as a visitor, some as student, some married to a EU national and the latest one married to my British husband.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. So long as you have been married to your UK citizen husband for three years, and you have been living in the UK for those three years, you are entitled to apply for UK citizenship. This would automatically solve all your visa problems. There is no need to wait until you have been in the UK for five years.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. The period of five years (plus one more year) would be the applicable period for settlement (and one year after for citizenship) if you were married to an EU national or if you were applying based on your long residence in the UK. It is only three years for the spouse of a British national.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Be aware that periods as a student don't count towards getting settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) or citizenship. However, if you lived in the UK married to or with an EU national these periods would count towards a five year continuous residence necessary for settlement and Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very excited with the new possibilities of getting citizenship quicker than I thought.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Well, citizenship is available to you after three years living in the UK married to your UK citizen husband.