Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My female partner is pursuing her ex one-off compensation

Customer Question

My female partner is pursuing her ex for a one-off compensation package as a result of many years of controlling behaviour etc.
She was not married to him, and had wrongly assumed common-law would apply when they parted. He has refused to pay a penny and has even ejected her from one of their homes.
My question is - if I want to live with this lady, will her case be prejudiced in any way - and/or am I likely to be involved or cited in court as a result?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
How is she pursuing this and under what basis? Do they have children together? Are any of the properties registered in both of their names or any deeds of trust in place?
If they had children together she may be entitled to a claim for financial support to house the children if she is unable to do so and a court would need to consider her current circumstances - so if she (and any children) were being housed by you then he would unlikely have to provide for them in relation to financial support for housing.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is pursuing her claim separately, and as her children are adult, they are not involved unless they are called as witnesses.My question is only that as/when it comes to court, whether my existence can be used by his defence as a way of reducing any compensation she may receive as a result of his behaviour during the many years before she met me.Or is it best to live in separate properties until her claim is settled one way or the other.We are senior citizens btw - she will be 70 yo in February, I am 69 yo.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
What is the exact nature of the claim in court and under what jurisdiction is the court dealing with it? Is it a family law case or a civil case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to get details of her exact legal position before being able to answer your question.We can either leave it pro tem or I can get back to you next week.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please get back to me once you have the relevant information