12826847

I'm wanting to report somebody . She is purposely

Customer Question

Hi I'm wanting to report somebody for defamation. She is purposely contacting current and future clients of mine. Calling my business a scam etc the lady has had no dealings with myself in any way yet has suddenly started with this slander which is damaging my business. Do I have a case
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To whom are you hoping to report her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a clue I just want the slander to stop and wondered my process / steps to have some form of restraining order obviously not that but where she can't mention or contact my customers
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Defamation is not a criminal offence so it cannot be reported to anybody I'm afraid.
If she is calling your business a scam then you could sue her for defamation. It is expensive if she contests the matter and you would need to get witnesses to court to give evidence that she has said this. However, this is clearly defamatory and a court would accept that you have suffered loss.
A cheaper option is to get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of libel and slander. That has no legal status of itself but it does often work. That would cost about £100 plus VAT or thereabouts.
Failing that you would have to sue but that is to be avoided if you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you offer that service of submitting letters ? I do have witnesses and I do have the messages she has sent to my clients. What do you think would be my better option. And would I need a solictior present and what would happen if she doesn't turn up?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
We don't but you could use a barrister under public access. It is probably cheaper than a solicitor.
Try here
www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk
or
www.5pumpcourt.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.