Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Is it usual practice police to ask dna swab from

Customer Question

is it usual practice for the police to ask for a dna swab from a victim of an assault? i was assaulted and the c.i.d are asking for a dna swab?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm 30 to help you today. Could you please explain the circumstances in a little more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was at a party and was seriously assaulted I don't have much recollection to why i was assaulted! The police phoned sayin to people had been charged! But I don't know why I was assaulted! And they want a DNa swab
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Was it a sexual assault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No! It was a physical assault
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is not unusual for the police to ask the victim of a crime to supply forensic samples in order to help them with their investigation. DNA analysis is an important tool and in some cases can make a big difference to the outcome of the case. It is up to you whether you wish to cooperate but your assistance may help the police prove you were assaulted.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you