75100385

Last year when I was trading as a Sole Trade, I had some one

Last year when I was trading as a Sole Trade, I had some one approach me over the telephone saying they were a search engine called uk business locator I agreed to place a order with them and they assured me that they would send invoice and hard copy in the post. I received neither, I made payment I think over the phone, however I am not certain it may have been by cheque. I have received an invoice say I owe them a further £270.00. I telephone to speak to accounts and was told it was a two year contract and that I needed to pay or they would issue proceedings against me. I have refused to pay any further amounts, however they continue to harass me. Yesterday they sent a taped conversation of when the original order was placed saying that this recording is a binding contract. I think this is a scam however I do not want any detrimental information against my name.
I am now trading as a ltd company, but still any cci will go against my name. Please could you advise me. Jacqui Jackson
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did you ever get a contract or did they say it was two years please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I never received a contract, however when i listened back to their recording it man did say it was a two year contract.
I don't even know how to access this search engine or if it really exists. when I looked them upon the internet there were alerts saying scam, however how can i be sure it is?
Would i get court papers come in the post or can they just issue a CCJ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No they can't just issue a ccj, don't worry if they never said it was two years nor issued you a contract they can't make you pay,
This does sound like a scam. If they wanted a ccj they would have to issue a claim against you and you would get court papers. You would the have an opportunity to defend and given the value it would be a small claim so they wouldn't be able to claim legal fees.
But you can't just get a ccj, there must be court papers first. If there is no contract there is no way they can say it was a two year contract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said verbally in the recorded telephone conversation that is was a two year contract
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You would have needed to accept that. In any event they didn't put it in writing - ask for a copy of the tape as evidence as they would need that in Court.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/