12826847

I rent a business unit which I allowed a friend to store

Customer Question

Hi. I rent a business unit which I allowed a friend to store and work on a classic car. He was charged a storage charge. Due to filling it with 3 cars inside and 1 outside. Registering his company at my address without asking thus infringing my rent agreement. I told him to be out by 31st December 2015 which he agreed. Well he is still there. I gave him notice again and changed the locks. Today I find he has drilled out the lock and put his own in. I spoke to the police today and they are unsure if it is criminal damage or where I legally stand. They suggested asking a solicitor if it is criminal damage. I now have the situation of no access to a premises which I am the tenant. If I remove his property he will try for criminal action as he is that type of person. How do I stop him changing the locks agai . Any ideas would be helpful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can remove his lock and replace it with yours. He can't just randomly exclude either you or the landlord. In fact, he would be liable for the cost of doing so.
If you remove his property from the lock up then that is all very well but it needs to be made available to him to collect. Otherwise there are offences in that.
In the long run there is no way to stop him changing the locks but he will soon work out there is no point if every time he does you change them again and sue him for the cost.