12826847

I'm a landlord and have just checked a new tenant into

I'm a landlord and have just checked a new tenant into a property. We have signed the paperwork but could not get the assured short hold agreement witnessed at the time it had to be signed. Is there anything I can to retrospectively? would it be possible to draw up an amendment to the agreement outlining that each party had agreed to the drawn up tenancy and its contents, then sign the amendment getting it witnessed at that point or just resign a whole new agreement?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to get it witnessed for it to be binding. As long as you have both signed it that is perfectly fine.
The only point of a witness is to deal with a situation when a person starts saying they didn't sign a document which is rather pointless when they are living in a property as that tends to suggest they were indeed the person who signed the agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The template agreement has written on it witness name and address- it was just not possible at the time to get it witnessed that's why I asked if I can draw up a separate amendment stating that all parties agreed to the contents of the agreement and get that witnessed it would help?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can draw up a fresh agreement and get all parties to sign it and witness it.
I wouldn't panic though. Your existing agreement is perfectly fine.