13262538

I was an appointee gentleman years and he's just

I was an appointee for a gentleman for 20 years and he's just died, his benefits were paid into a post office account in my name not his, do I have the right to use this money for his funeral plus honour his wishes by giving the rest to the Dogs home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I spoke with the head of the post office who said I could spend this money to how I wish as it is in my name, I just want to pay for his funeral and then honour his wishes by sending the rest to the Dogs Home of his choice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have the right to do this
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Did the person make a Will? How much is the money? Why was it paid into your account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no will and social services asked me to take on the Roll of looking after him, I had court if protection over his mother who sadly died to but with Christopher he had mental health problems and this is why the goverment wanted me to act as his appointee and deal with his finances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is £8,000 but his funeral is already £5,88 leaving less than £3,000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had Christopher put into a care home as he was unable to care for in the end and for his own protection and I would give the home £500 a month for daily living out of the post office account, they would give me a receipt which I kept for my proof as well so everything was documented, no one but me could get this money out as stated it was and still is in my name, there's been no more money going into the account as I've had to notify everyone of his death.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have a bank account with £13,000 in as well which no one can touch as this is in his name only, I have since been told that he supposedly has an aunt and cousin who I got intouch with and hadn't seen them for over 30 yrs or so but they have demanded the Bank Book off of me which I said no until I seek legal advice, I explained to them that Christopher has also got a post office account hence in my name and not is which I said there unable to touch as I need that to pay for his funeral and abide by his wishes by donating the rest to the Dogs Home, the Bank Book I'd like advice on that of what to do please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are u still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been waiting 2hrs now for u to get back to me £ 38 I have paid, can u call me on *********** or return my £38 please, thankyou
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you I am afraid that whilst you can pay the Funeral and any other outstanding bills from the money that you hold you do not have the power to pass the balance on to the dogs home despite your friends expressed wishesWhilst the account is in your name the money is belongs to the Estate of your friend and has to be passed on to his relativesI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.