Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Yesterday evening I was doing along the M6 and briefly nodded

Yesterday evening I was doing along the M6 and briefly nodded off in the outside lane. I awoke when the car touched the central barrier and it steered back into the outside lane. No other vehicle was involved and I was not injured but the car, although drive able, has a large scrape down the right hand side.
Do I need to report this to the police?
Am I likely to be charged with dangerous driving? If so what might be the penalty?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. What would you like to know about this?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. It's essential that you report this incident within 24 hours of the and provide the police with your insurance details. The law requires you to either stop at the scene (which would not have been practical) or report within 24 hours. Failure to do so could result in up to 10 penalty points on your licence and a criminal record. It's possible the police will want to investigate this further but without any eye witnesses or CCTV they will rely on your version of events to decide whether this was was careless or dangerous driving. It's up to you how you describe the incident but, if I were your lawyer, I would advise against admitting anything to do with falling asleep as that's a damning confession to make.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone numbers ***********
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.