How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10790
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am married to a EU national, I have a residence card

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am married to a EU national, I have a residence card (5year) that expires 21 Nov 16, at what stage before it expires can i start to apply for my citizenship?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1 Can you better explain the situation. Did you live in the UK on an EEA/EU Family Permit for six months before you go the 5 year residence card? On what date did you first come to the UK and on what visa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes I had a VISA EEA FP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I got my VISA EEA FP, I visited for 6months on a normal visitors visa
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Henk, Once you are five years in the UK that is on 22 June, 2016, you can apply for settlement in the UK. This gives Indefinite Leave to REmain. Then after one year of Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can apply for UK citizenship. So you should have citizenship in 18 months time.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. You are welcome!