Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am being harassed and stalked by a poster on Amazon uk. He

I am being harassed and stalked by a poster on Amazon uk. He posted at least 80 negative comments in about 22 reviews I wrote in the past three months. I posted 14 reviews in the past month and he posted a negative comment about every single one of them. All reviews are detailed and elaborated and most of them are five stars, positive reviews. The reviews are about books, dvds and cds. I am not replying to his comments. He did not post reviews about any of the items that I reviewed. I checked the protection against harassment act 1997 and the equality act 2010 and it seems clear to me that I have grounds to legally act against him and also amazon. I contacted amazon several times in the last week but just once they replied to me, asking me to fill a standard message in a box that will be dealt with by someone of the "help desk". I asked for an email address so I could send the location of the reviews and also establish a paper trail but they ignored me. Besides the negative comments, the poster also insults me saying things such as "liar and hypocrite", "idiot", "shut up you pathetic pedantic little troll". What can I do about this matter?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Apart from posting comments on Amazon, is this person harassing you in any other way? Emails, letters or phone calls for example?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I am not using my real name on amazon. I can't because of my kind of work.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK. So the comments are completely confined to Amazon reviews?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. If he was contacting me in any other way I would have gone to the police
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one more thing. I deleted some reviews with his comments and posted them again. He posted his comments again soon after. To do that he has to be going through my reviews regularly because there is an automatic warning for new comments but not for reviews. He has to be checking the reviews constantly in order to put a comment again after my deletion of the review.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Cyber bullying of any nature is a crime. Posting constructive, critical or negative comments is not uncommon but abusive, derogatory or harassing messages directed at you causing distress is simply illegal. I suggest as your first step that you continue to push Amazon to take action - they could ban the other person from using the site. Or, if they do not, your best option is to instruct a lawyer to identify the culprit and write to him/ her directly threatening legal action. Such could take the for, of an injunction, claim for compensation or a private prosecution.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
There is a very helpful publication from the Crown Prosecution Service which gives some good advice on how to deal with these situations click HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. One question: Isn't amazon responsible for what is happening. They guy, if his profile is correct, lives in Australia. I personally don't believe that. Could I take legal action against amazon? Can they allow this harassment and stalking and not be held responsible? the guy is probably some deranged person what upsets me more is amazon lack of interest in the matter.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You can try, of course. But I doubt if Amazon will accept any responsibility for a 'deranged' person. Also they can't police all comments and reviews I imagine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but they have the power to stop the comments. There is lots of arguments on amazon but this is a very unique and abnormal situation. it is not normal. one last question: should I reply to the poster and warn him about my intention of seeking legal action against him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One. another question but on a different matter. Are you based in London ?Roughly, how much a legal action of this kind would cost me?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am based in London. For a lawyer to identify this person through Amazon and write to him will set you back a few hundred pounds because of the amount of work involved. There is no harm in writing to him and Amazon in the same terms. I would advise against contacting him as this made antagonise him and result in the situation escalating. It would be better if this came from a lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you. Am I going to get a transcript of this chat?I have to pay my taxes now so the government can misuse my money any way they want so I will try to solve the problem with amazon first.I will contact the poster but only immediately before starting legal action if ever comes to that. If I contact him now and nothing happens then it will be just an empty threat and he will feel empowered.I placed near one thousand orders from amazon in the last years and have about 200 serious reviews on air. They way they are ignoring me is very upsetting.Would it be possible to get your contact details for future reference? Just in case that amazon doesn't act. I don't want to write reviews anymore and am thinking in deleting them all but I will only do that after resolving this matter in a satisfactory way.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you can get a transcript of this conversation but your may have received emails with the content. I am happy to discuss this in future - just ask for me by name 'Alice H'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you. good bye and have a nice sunday!
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer otherwise I do not get paid for my time. Have a great day. Alice :)