Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have a fairly complex criminal trial in May. Are

Hi,I have a fairly complex criminal trial in May. Are there significant benefits to instructing a QC over the Junior Barrister?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. Are you paying privately or has this been approved under as legal aid order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Privately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. It is fair to say there are many junior barristers who are very capable of conducting complex criminal trials and will usually be cheaper than a QC. However, a QC is a recognised leader and expert in the field and whilst the price tag might be more than a junior quite usually it's money worth spending. I would usually recommend a QC to a private paying client in a complex criminal case - and so far such decisions have worked out well for my clients (remember though that even if you're successful and manage to obtain a defence costs order you will only recover a small fraction of your costs from the court but the investment is worthwhile).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. This is an indecent images case and so the outcome is far m important to me than the costs involved.Are there any statistics which indicate that QCs win a higher percentage of trials than junior barristers?In addition, will my use of a QC prompt the CPS to also instruct one?Thanks
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
No, there are no such statistics I'm afraid. And usually the CPS will not instruct their own QC because their rules for instruction are quite different to somebody paying privately for representation (in other words they are looking to save money rather than equality).
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a particular QC in mind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I am willing to work with my solicitors suggestions, but was looking at Felicity Gerry who is based at 36 Bedford Row.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Top notch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Alice.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. All the very best.