12826847

I was involved in some criminal activity in October

Customer Question

I was involved in some criminal activity in October 2013, I ended up in a police chase. I ended up pleading guilty to; dangerous driving, and failing to stop when indicated by a marked police car with its lights on.
I was sentenced in June 2014 to a 9 month sentence suspended for 18 months, I received a dangerous driving conviction which resulted in my driving licence revoked with a ban for 12months. I also got a £100 fine and 100hours community service.
I currently work at the same company that I was working at the time of the offence. At the time of the offence I was working there for free for training purposes as my job relies on speed and I wasn't fast enough to be paid hourly so I needed more practice. The judge that sentenced me at crown court was informed about this. I now work at the company full time and have a future career for life there. However this is only on one condition. I need to be able to drive in order to perform deliveries and collections and we also do site work so it is necessary for me to drive the company vehicles. These are classed as commercial insurance as they are transit vans and pick up trucks.
I have now served my ban and have my extended test booked for the beginning of February.
My question is, once I have passed my test again is there any way at all in the slightest I can get my driving licence cleared so that I don't have to wait the 5 years for it to be ignored? I ask this as I cannot get commercial insurance. I am 23 so it was highly priced for me anyway, but now with the conviction i am struggling to find anyone to insure me and the only company I have found have quoted me £8000. There is no way I can afford this due to the fact that until I can do the site work and deliveries for work my wages will not go up, and also the fact that I have been told if I cannot perform site services and deliveries soon then they are going to have to let me go.
I fully understand insurance struggles are part of my punishment, but I have turned my life around since 2013, I have worked hard and have gone from being on sick pay benefit and being in trouble with the police to training for free whilst still on sick pay and I am now fully employed working 40+ hours a week for a small local business who heavily rely on me. What I do is also a career for life, should I be able to work around this problem. The business heavily relies on me and would probably go under without me, but they can't afford to sustain me without me being able to drive a commercial vehicle.
Is there anything at all I can do in the slightest? I appreciate your time for reading this, I understand its a bit of an essay!
Thanks,
Victoria
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello what do you specifically wish to know about this situation please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there anything I can do to get my licence cleared once I have retaken my test? Any form of appeal or anything like that?
OK I will refer this to a colleague of mine who would be better placed to advise you, please do not reply in the meantime thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
I have been asked to look at this as it is my area.
I'm very sorry but you cannot get the points removed because it is harder to get insurance or actually for any other reason.
They drop off from the insurance company's interest after the relevant period of time - usually five years. Until that time I'm afraid they cannot be removed.
I'm very sorry but the only way to avoid this would have been to have been acquitted at court.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I didn't actually received any points I just got the 12 month ban, but I still have to declare this on my insurance don't I? But other than that thank you for clarifying, most helpful :)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I think they would have banned you outright for these offences. The advantage is that you get your licence back clean. The disadvantage is that you have received a ban and that does have to be declared.I'm very sorry and I know insurance does rack up but that is the reality.Sometimes advanced driving courses reduces your insurance a little.