Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hiya, Last year I got pregnant and the father of my child

Hiya,
Last year I got pregnant and the father of my child abandoned me. I wrote a memoir about how we met, what happened when I got pregnant and him leaving etc etc. I published it to Amazon with the intention to show only a few people but someone in the father's family read it and asked me to take it down. I told him that I would take it down and reconsider it, but I was just wondering if I am liable to have legal action taken against me for writing it? I have changed all of the names and where the father is from etc
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. Is what you published true and accurate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is all true !
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing to stop you publishing a true article. They can only take action against you for defamation but to do so they would have to prove that you said something that would seriously harm somebody else's reputation. Publishing something that is true or an honest opinion is not defamation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What counts as serious harm? There is no violence, no drugs or anything like that, but obviously him abandoning us doesnt shed him in a positive light
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Serious harm meand serious harm to the other persons reputation. So, saying you and your child were abandoned, would cause serious harm to the persons reputation but you would be justified in saying this because it's the truth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand, so if things are negative but they are true I would not be able to be sued for defamation?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Exactly. If he didn't abandon you and the child and you just said so out of spite then he could sue for defamation (although usually such a person would ask for an apology first and ask you to withdraw the article). But so long as the article is substantially true then you have a defence to any legal action.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you very much! And this will sound petty but just to check, saying things such as he acted strangely or that he was nasty wouldnt cause a problem would they?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You need to be very careful about not going too far with your article. You can talk about things that you honesty believe to be true but make sure that you don't too far. If he was nasty to you and you can give examples that's fine but saying somebody is nasty just to make them look bad will obviously be wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I only said he was nasty in regards ***** ***** leaving after a specific situation where he spoke unkindly to me. I also said that I saw him as nasty just in that moment and not that he was a horrible person in general!
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
That's sounds like a fair comment to me. I don't think that sounds like a particularly nasty thing to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay! Thank you so much for your help