Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I've been a resident of the UK on 5 years now, working

I've been a resident of the UK for nigh on 5 years now, working and paying my taxes (exactly 5 in june this year) and am currently faced with newly instated mandatory conscription in my country of origin. Getting conscripted would mean losing my job, my house and being away from my family, as well as losing my eligibility for UK citizenship which I was working towards all this time. What are my options?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. As a Lithuanian resident in the uk for five years, you can seek settlement or Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. After one year of settlement or Indefinite Leave to remain you become entitled to Uk citizenship. At this point you can renounce your Lithuanian citizenship and avoid conscription as you are no longer a Lithuanian citizen. Subsequently, if circumstances change, you can take up Lithuanian citizenship again. However, this is the only way I know of avoiding conscription using UK laws.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please RATE the answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.