How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I've been a resident of the UK on 5 years now, working

Resolved Question:

I've been a resident of the UK for nigh on 5 years now, working and paying my taxes (exactly 5 in june this year) and am currently faced with newly instated mandatory conscription in my country of origin. Getting conscripted would mean losing my job, my house and being away from my family, as well as losing my eligibility for UK citizenship which I was working towards all this time. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. As a Lithuanian resident in the uk for five years, you can seek settlement or Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. After one year of settlement or Indefinite Leave to remain you become entitled to Uk citizenship. At this point you can renounce your Lithuanian citizenship and avoid conscription as you are no longer a Lithuanian citizen. Subsequently, if circumstances change, you can take up Lithuanian citizenship again. However, this is the only way I know of avoiding conscription using UK laws.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please RATE the answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you