13262538

My mother died back in September. Prior to this I was appointed

Customer Question

My mother died back in September. Prior to this I was appointed as executor to her will, which I have. I have now obtained death certificates and I wish to proceed on. There is no property involved and, as far as I can see, there is only the bank and an insurance policy to deal with. What is required of me. My mother had two accounts totalling approx. £120000 and I am already a signatory to those accounts and have been for the last 8 years. I have two brothers and she had 6 grand children. They all inherit from her wll as do I. What is the next step and any further steps that may be necessary?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
For clarity are the accounts the only assets?
How much is the Insurance Policy worth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two bank accounts are the only assets + the insurance policy. She took this out in March 1948 paying 2/6 per every 4 weeks. However, she got £5 back every 5th year. The sum assured is £18. I have not yet cashed this in as I have only now obtained the death certificates.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
`Hi
Given the small nature of the policy and the fact that the accounts are already in your name you may be able to avoid applying for probate.
You should write to the insurance Company with a copy of the Death Certificate and ask if payment can be made without the need for Probate
If it can then you can simply send copies of the Death Certificate to the bank and the accounts will be transferred to your sole name.
You can then prepare estate account showing the monies received, the debts paid, and then distribute the money in accordance with the terms of the Will
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details