Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I signed a contract to write a book. no royalties. I was paid

I signed a contract to write a book. no royalties. I was paid £2,700. It sold 50,000, was then reprinted as a paper back sold 6000 in a few months, 18,000 as a kindle, and audio book as well.
I have not got the contract in front of me but its a well oiled machine and I imagine it covers all spin off formats.
It has sold 80,000 units. So over 400,.000 gross profit. I probably got £1 an hour for the work I did on it - maybe less.
Book was published in 2009, republished 2015.
Do I have a claim?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Whether you have a claim will depend on terms of your agreement with you and what you signed when you accepted the £2700. It may be that you completely signed your rights and rights to any further payments to the publisher. I am happy to look atthe contract for you as an additional service if you would like. If you have any further questions please do ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but you have given me no helpful information at all. I am sure I signed away my rights. That was my question having signed away my rights have I any chance of claiming thata. this was unfair
b. my renumeration was at an unfair level and in fact below the minimum wage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
assuming the contract was not faulty
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
When was the contract entered into?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2009
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** as I said earlier difficult to give specific advice without seeing the contract. You can argue that the Unfair contract terms Act applies to the situation if you can argue that you are a consumer in relation to this contract and that you were not at arms length with the party you contracted with. This could be the case if the contract is not in connection with 'your business'. This is quite a high hurdle to climb given that clearly you were in the business of writing a book when you entered into the contract with them. Some writers groups have complained that the Unfair Contract Terms Act did not sufficiently protect people like yourself and some small changes have been made and new legislation was passed in 2015 but this is not retrospective so would not apply to a contract entered into in 2009. With regards ***** ***** minimum wage this only needs to be paid by an employer. The publisher is not your employer so this would not apply I'm afraid.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kevin is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. seems hopeless then
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I think it is going to be very difficult for you. You need someone to look at the contract first.If you have any further questions please do ask. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise credited for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best with this.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and who gets the money in that case?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for rating my answer. Do come back to me in the future if you need to.