Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am selling a property I own with my ex partner. It is owned

I am selling a property I own with my ex partner. It is owned 50/50 but i want to give her 100% of the funds after costs. She would like a letter/contract confirming this. Can i simply write a letter with the details and sign it? Would that be sufficient?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Can you confirm if you are married to her?
If you are not and there has been agreement between you, then such agreement should be in writing and submitted to your conveyancing solicitors so that the proceeds of sale can be provided to her upon completion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are not married
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming - as stated you should inform your conveyancing solicitors of your intention and it is likely that they would wish for there to be a formal written and witnessed agreement between you regarding the division of proceeds of sale.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - when you say formal written agreement will a letter written by myself not be sufficient then?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
You will need to check with them, but they are likely to want a witness to countersign the letter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - thanks