Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Bought a car from reputable garage, after two half months it

Customer Question

Bought a car from reputable garage, after two half months it broke down, under warranty. They loaned me a car but my car is still not back with me. If the car they loaned is scratched I have to pay £500. I had no means of getting home so had to agree.
Do you think this length of time is reasonable? Do I have a legal case against the garage. There are other aspects to the case.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was this a used car? How long ago was it sent in for repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a used car, 2009, Land Rover. It went for repair 18/12/15. 7am.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
What are they saying is the reason for the delay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are one of the main Honda garages and the car is a Land Rover so they had to wait until a Land Rover dealer was free. They also said they own a Land Rover dealership? They have said the earliest it could even be looked at is today, I have not heard from the garage. They do not contact me I have had to contact them on a number of occasions.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi so they have not given you a good reason for the delay.What outcome do you want?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well they think it's a good reason. They say the Land Rover garages cannot look at it. I want my car back mended and sorted asap, before the weather turns to snow and ice. I live in the hills so bought the car for that reason. The only answer I get is, what's your problem, you have a curtesy car. I have to do lots of motorway travelling for work and as I say I live in the hills. A 1000 cc small car I am driving is not suitable.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok well you have the right for the car to be repaired in a reasonable timeframe or for a refund if that cannot happen. I would suggest you write them a letter before action to say you are not satisfied with the length of time this is taking and saying that if the car is not repaired and returned to you within 7 days or you are not supplied with a comparable vehicle for the period of time it takes to repair you will reject the vehicle and seek a full refund. Hopefully a letter will be enough to make them see sense and to take action to repair the vehicle as it sounds as though this is being needlessly delayed. Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. I have been made to feel like all this is my fault and a Nuicance to them. It's been a nightmare. My son came over at Christmas and I had to ferry him around like a teenager because they would not put him on the insurance; he lives in Majorca.
It feels good that you don't think I am being unreasonable,
Thank you again
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck with it. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise credited for answering this question. Thank you and all the best with it.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenny, re my car.
The garage, with your advice gave me a bigger car on Wednesday. I got a call today to say that my car could be returned on Monday, I was ecstatic. When I asked what was wrong with it he said someone put a small amount of petrol in it then topped it up with diesel ! I was shocked and shouted at him it wasn't me, we had a few words, no swearing, honestly and I told him it wasn't me. He then told me it was not under warranty as it was my fault and he had taped the whole conversation. HELP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So are they looking to charge you for the work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are and I am not sure how this could have happened. I think I would know if I had put a small amount of petrol in the car and then topped up with the correct fuel, diesel. I have looked on the Internet and mostly it says if it's a small amount there would not be an issue, however other experts have said petro can lie on the top of the diesel for a long time, surfacing at a later date. As the car had a few splutters at times when I first got it I put it down to the cold and didn't give it a thought but now I believe it was sold like that. The garage possibly didn't even know. What do I do and is he entitled to tape me. In my employment I am told that this is illegal.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
He should not have taped you unless he told you he was going to. You should ask for evidence or ask to take the car to an independant mechanic to verify his story. If you think he is doing this deliberately to suggest you are at fault then you can report him to trading standards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a main Honda garage so I doubt they are that corrupt. I will try trading standards anyway to see if they have had similar things from the garage. Do you think I have a case to go to court. My previous car I had for 10 years it was also diesel so I would be unlikely to have used petrol. The Service manager said it was a very small amount? I did not put it in and if I had I would have got my breakdown to take me home, get the tank drained the next day. This I did 10 years ago it cost me £40 to put right plus I lost all the fuel. I am just not stupid if I had done that I would not have driven the car. I have relay breakdown who organise it all for me. I feel really angry about this as they are also suggesting I'm dishonest By trying to use the warranty dishonestly.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
You can contact Trading Standards if you are adamant that you did not put petrol in you should say so and say that you have not breached the terms of the warranty so therefore do not have to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am adamant because I did not do that. What he is saying is that, whoever did put the small amount of petrol in it would have known because they topped it up with diesel. I have all my fuel receipts because I have a business. I always fill it up because I use motorways a lot and don't want to be stranded as a woman alone.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
You can use those as evidence. I do not think there is much more that I can say really. You need to go back to the dealer with your evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice, do I rate you again?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I am not paid for my time without being rated so if you would like to do so I would be grateful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.