13262538

I have found out today via an obituary that my father has passed

Customer Question

I have found out today via an obituary that my father has passed away. He has remarried and his wife had put the notice in the paper. I telephoned the funeral director concerned and explained that I was his daughter and could I come and see the body. I was told that there were no legal reasons against anyone seeing the body. I was due to go tomorrow. However I went to the funeral director today as my sister wanted to go aswell. On arriving at the funeral place I was informed that the director had telephoned my dad's wife and was told that she was considering letting us see the body or not. After another call from the director we were informed that we were not allowed to see the body. Am I within my rights to see the body? And surely the funeral director did not have to telephone my dad's wife as details were placed in the paper and the funeral director did say that they would not phone to ask permission for anyone turning up?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am so very sorry but in fact it is the Widow who decides who can and cannot view the body - she is the one responsible for arranging the funeral.
I appreciate that she is behaving appallingly badly - but legally there is nothing you can do.