29905560

I am writing legal advice regarding an incident I

I am writing for some legal advice regarding an incident I had in an 'Original Factory Shop' retail store in December. I have tried emailing and phoning the head office but had no response.
The below is my last email to them.
'I visited your Ripon store on 6th December. Me and my partner were browsing fragrances and decided to purchase a bottle at the price of £7. When we picked the item up I heard the employee behind the counter shout another member of staff. This member of staff asked if we needed any help before we continued to browse the shop. The lady behind the counter (short dark hair, wearing spectacles) who I believe to be the manager, followed us round the store. We came to the back of the store where other fragrances were shelved. Me and my partner had a conversation about the gift we were intending to purchase from the store, and decided we no longer wanted it. We placed it back on the shelf with the other fragrances, before making our way to the front of the store. The 'manager' then abruptly asked me "where is the perfume you just had?!" To which I replied "I've returned it to the shelf at the back of the store, we no longer want it." At this point my partner was already outside the store while I was near the till area walking toward the exit. The 'manager' is now at the opposite side of the store tills while I am approaching the exit. She then demanded I get the goods and bring them to her, I declined as the store was busy and I felt embarrassed to be spo***** *****ke this and 'ordered'. I went to leave as I was disgusted the with attitude of the 'manager', she then shouted across the store "If it is not there I am phoning the Police!" This was said in an abrupt manner and literally shouted accross the store and other members of the public. Everybody in the store looked at me, it was embarrassing and completely out of order. As a man who has suffered with Social Anxiety Disorder for many years, as you can imagine this has affected me greatly. I believe something needs to be done about this, my partner contacted your head office who promised a return call which we have not received. I rarely leave the house due to my disorder and this incident has affected my future decision to visit your store.'
I have Social Anxiety Disorder and the whole ordeal was highly embarrassing and provoked my anxiety immensely.
Please can you contact me with any advice as to how to pursue this.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve in this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was initially seeking an apology, but would now to like to seek compensation.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, in the circumstances you cannot actually seek compensation. There is of course nothing stopping you from trying to do this directly with the store and hoping that they offer you compensation as a goodwill gesture but legally you cannot actually sue them for anything as they have not broken the law. I fully empathise with the awkward situation you were placed in but that does not mean that legally they have done anything wrong. It is bad customer service for sure but the courts do not compensate for that. In fact the reality is that they could actually ignore your correspondence and you would not be able to do anything about that – it is a further example of bad service but they are legally free to do that if they wanted to. So I am afraid to say that neither can you force them to apologise or to compensate you. One should hope that at least one of these happens voluntarily from them but that is left entirely at their discretion. You could instead try and bring this to the public’s attention, sometimes local papers are interested in such stories and that could affect the store more than they would have expected in the circumstances. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'