Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

How do I deal with cheques marked refer to drawer and stopped

How do I deal with cheques marked refer to drawer and stopped cheques for goods already supplied?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this in the course of business transactions? Please can you explain the situation in more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My colleague is Italian, but lives in UK. He is the Managing Director of our company, but although his English is good, he has given me authority to ask regarding our issue. "How do we deal with cheques marked 'STOPPED' and 'Refer to Drawer' for goods supplied,but are outwith the returns criteria?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
In this situation do you have the names and addresses of the customers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
That's great news. You can take action to recover the money from them in breach of contract in that case. You should write to them to inform them that the cheque has bounced and ask them to pay you within 7 days or you will issue proceedings against them in breach of contract. If they do not pay then you can issue a small claim against them at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.Is there anything further you would like to know?