ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am trying to get a divorce from my partner but he has hidden

Customer Question

I am trying to get a divorce from my partner but he has hidden the marriage certificate and we got married abroad. Is it possible to get a divorce without a marriage certificate and if so, how do I go about proving that I am married to my partner?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
The court will be able to accept a certified copy.
So my advice in the first instance that you contact the issuing authority abroad and ask that they send you a certified copy.
Please also note that if the marriage certificate is not in English then a certified translation to English will also be required.
You can seek permission from a District Judge that the marriage certificate be filed at a later date but this will only be granted if the matter is urgent - so you are really best contacting the issue authority in the country where you were married and asking them for a certified copy.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Please Kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work. Your question does not close when you leave positive feedback and I can answer your follow up questions for free.