Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Can you help please, I sold my off licence about 3 years ago

Can you help please, I sold my off licence about 3 years ago for 50, 000 it is still a shop now with the same owner, but I have found out with the local council that my name is ***** ***** this lease
What I need to know if I could tell the new owner that I want to move back in the premises again
Thankyou david
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When you sold the shop did you do a formal assignment? Who has been paying rent on the lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new owner has been paying the rent,
I don't think we did a formal assignment
We did a bank transfer from is bank to mine, the council says my name is ***** ***** the lease
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. You cannot kick the owner, if you sold him the shop and the lease then name will still be on it, the lease has not actually changed. What you needed to do was arrange an assignment of the lease with the council's permission. I would recommend you do this in case the new owner stops paying the rent in which the council may pursue you for it. Did you give a rent deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not give a rent deposit, I will just sign the deed and be done with it, if I could have got back the shop in anyway I just needed to knowThankyou