Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My property is 130 years old, and I have owned it years.

Customer Question

My property is 130 years old, and I have owned it for 47 years. I believe it is originally leasehold but I have never paid any lease and haven't a clue who the leaseholders are ( or were? ) How can I get it converted to freehold? And does it matter when selling the property?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
If you could confirm your address, I can gladly do a quick Land Registry search to see if the Freehold is registered at the Land Registry? I will then be able to provide you with a full answer.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My address is 18, Combe Road, Combe Down, Bath, BA2 5HX
Thanks for your reply.
I will do the Land Registry search for you tomorrow morning.
Kind Regards
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I shall look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
David
Hi David,
Sorry for the delay.
Having checked with the Land Registry, I confirm that neither the Freehold nor the Leasehold interests in your property are registered with the Land Registry (indeed, there is quite a large section of land to the rear of your property which also is not registered).
I can not therefore confirm to you who the Freeholder is.
I would hope that you have somewhere the original Lease, and associated documents from when you purchased, which is evidence that you own the Leasehold interest.
The Leasehold Reform Act 1967 enables you, to apply to the County Court to acquire the freehold. However, you will be required to demonstrate that you have made all reasonable attempts to locate the freeholder. In some cases an enquiry agent may be useful to carry out a search and to produce a report which can be used as evidence that the freeholder is indeed missing. It is wise to seek advice from a solicitor both on investigating the freeholders absence and the application to the County Court. Your Solicitor will also be able to inspect your Deeds to make sure you are holding all the necessary paperwork.
Sorry I can't assist in naming your Freeholder- you could always ask some of the neighbours to see if they remember any Freeholder?
I hope this assists as best I can.
If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Al