Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

We are renting a house and the tenancy has come to an end,

Hi, we are renting a house and the tenancy has come to an end, we was going to extend but how now decided to move out, we havent signed a new tenancy agreement, however the agent is saying that we are liable for another 12 months tenancy as we agreed to stay.
Can they hold us to that as we havent signed a new tenancy agreement?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As you have not signed a new tenancy and the previous tenancy has come to an end you are now on what is called a statutory periodic tenancy, which is basically a rolling monthly tenancy. To end such a tenancy you need to write to your landlord and give them 30 days' notice that you are leaving.
In the notice you should include your name, your address, the date on which you'll be leaving the property, the address the landlord can use to contact you after you've left, for example, to return your tenancy deposit. I would suggest that you hand-deliver this to your landlord.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** though we agreed to stay and how now changed our minds they cant make us pay past the 30 day notice period? They said to me that they had an oral tenancy agreement.