How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2722
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We are renting a house and the tenancy has come to an end,

Resolved Question:

Hi, we are renting a house and the tenancy has come to an end, we was going to extend but how now decided to move out, we havent signed a new tenancy agreement, however the agent is saying that we are liable for another 12 months tenancy as we agreed to stay.
Can they hold us to that as we havent signed a new tenancy agreement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As you have not signed a new tenancy and the previous tenancy has come to an end you are now on what is called a statutory periodic tenancy, which is basically a rolling monthly tenancy. To end such a tenancy you need to write to your landlord and give them 30 days' notice that you are leaving.
In the notice you should include your name, your address, the date on which you'll be leaving the property, the address the landlord can use to contact you after you've left, for example, to return your tenancy deposit. I would suggest that you hand-deliver this to your landlord.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** though we agreed to stay and how now changed our minds they cant make us pay past the 30 day notice period? They said to me that they had an oral tenancy agreement.