How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My name is ***** ***** I am an American. My wife

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an American. My wife is Romanian (EEU citizen) who is living and working in the UK. I need help with exactly what Visa I need and how to acquire them without going back to America. I have been told I need to get a EEU family Permit first then to apply for a residency card. But to acquire a permit it says I need to go back to America. I am really overwhelmed with what I can do or have to do. I am on a limited budget till I can get a job in the UK (which I can't do without a visa) please if you know a way I can stay in the UK and work. Please please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, the solution to your problem is not as difficult as you may think. Basically, all you need is an address outside the EEA Preferably in America from which you can send your application. This can be provided by a relative or there are professional services offered on the web which will provide you with a mailing address from which you can apply.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. As you are probably well aware, you are applying for an EEA Family Permit. Here is a link to the UK.GOV website for the details of how you apply and with what form. Be aware that you will usually get your visa within 6-9 weeks of making the application. So you won't have to wait very long. This visa will be for six months and will give you the right to live and work in the UK. After six months, you simply apply for a 5 year residence card.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Be aware that after five years in the UK you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and settlement. ONe year later, after six years residence, you can apply for Uk citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew I have to apply for the family Permit but I have to do a biometric scanning and it only allows me to do that in the US when I fill out the application it won't let me choose a UK place
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
5. Dear *****, thanks for Rating the answer. I would suggest you see if there is some third country where you could do this biometric scanning, if you wish to avoid the costs associated with a trip home to the US.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering how do I go about. Finding a country as I am in Germany but when I fill out the paperwork.It only allows me to choose a US affiliate
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
6. I would advise you to speak to the UK Border Agency helpline and see what they would suggest. Here is a link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry one more question I just found this, it states Making your EEA Family Permit application
Non-EU family members must apply to a British Diplomatic Post overseas prior to travelling to the UK. Note that if you are already in the UK it is not necessary to return home to your country of lawful residence in order to obtain an EEA family permit." Does this mean I can apply for the EEU permit in the UK
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
.7. It does. whilst the rule is that you apply before you enter the uK, there has to be some fallback for persons already in the UK.