12826847

I had an affair with my GP. It lasted nearly 10 years during

Customer Question

I had an affair with my GP. It lasted nearly 10 years during which he had other affairs as well as i discovered too late and was brought up before the GMC for similar behaviour. (I wasn't mentioned or involved. He left me last year without telling me, answering calls or e-mails and has just married someone else (An extremely wealthy widow) He was never going to divorce his catholic wife previously and kept telling me he wasn't leaving me even after meeting this woman. I can get over the leaving me but not the manner in which he did it. He met me when I was almost suicidal and helped me rebuild a life. We went on holidays together over the years and after he lost his job I continued to support him as, to me, he was still the same person, however stupid. He repeatedly asserted that he loved me and that I was one of the few that hadn't deserted him when things got bad.
He knows me better than anyone else and knew how i felt about rejection in previous relationships. We had even discussed that he would tell me and not leave me guessing if he ever got bored with me. He also did it whilst my beloved daughter was dying from Leukaemia and I was trying to help my son=in-law with 3 very young children. I went from having emotional support to a double whammy of hell. I am currently under psychiatric care trying to restore my life.
He never promised marriage but the damaging way he just abandoned me without contact, leaving me worrying about his health as well as taking all my confidence and emotional stabiltiy with him is unforgivable.
Would I have any recourse to damages and/or would the GMC be interested in his conduct even though it is in the past? I have all my old diaries and have not yet dumped e-mails and phone records.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but the GMC will not have any interest in your relationships issues.
The highest point of the complaint you could make might be that he had a person relationship with you whilst you were his patient although, quite frankly, they are unlikely to pursue it unless you were suffering from a condition impeding consent. It is obviously damaging to the complaint that you did continue in a relationship with him knowing that he was your GP and the fact that you only chose to report it when it didn't work out would not look good.
The fact that the relationship didn't work out would not be of interest to the GMC however badly he behaved.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is what I thought. I can reconcile myself to the loss of the relationship and have been coping with the double loss of both my daughter and my partner but finding out that he got married recently has explained all the lies and his guilt in refusing to reply to me. I even asked him to tell me if he had found someone else and was moving on at various times throughuout our relationship (he was only my GP for the first 6 months). It was just that he was very well aware of the damage he was doing to me by the complete silence, knowing that he had helped me through previous period of suicidal feelings from rejection. Basically he is a bastard and I am well rid of him, but he is now comfortably married to a the widow of a multimillionaire enjoying the lifestyle he lost when the GMC suspended him (he was in the national papers) and I am trying to pick the pieces again with nothing. I needed to check though.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, he may well be an unsuitable partner. That doesn't make him an incompetent doctor though which will be the GMC's concern.
All of these regulatory bodies take a very dim view of reporting of relationships arising from the end of the relationship I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, he is an excellent diagnostician. He is very, very good at what he did. Just can't keep away from women who need rescuing!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is not an issue for the GMC I'm afraid.