LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I am a Landlord and a tenant has been growing cannabis in my

Customer Question

I am a Landlord and a tenant has been growing cannabis in my house. They have been caught, charged, found guilty, and await sentencing. After giving an initial statement to the police re the tenant, stating my lack of knowledge and involvement, I also presented a signed tenancy agreement. I am now being asked to sign a document giving the police full rights to access my bank account and associated transactions. I am not under arrest, and there is no evidence to suggest my involvement. I am therefore uncomfortable giving this written consent. Do I have the right to refuse, and would I be wise to refuse with the absence of a warrant and any legal representation? Thanks, Dave
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
What scale of cannabis operation was it?
Have you been questioned by the police under caution about this?
have he police said why they want to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,The operation was fairly large. 4 rooms in a terrace house. I think 80 or so plants.
No, not questioned under caution - all just voluntary.
The reason is to apparently see cash being paid into my account, though I have already explained this will not be clear. I have various other properties, so sometimes bank any cash rent on a non specific day, inconsistent amounts (often 2 or 3 months together, more than one property's rent together, etc). There have been occasions when cash rent has even been used for living expenses, though is always recorded and declared to HMRC via a spreadsheet for my self assessment. Thanks again.
OK, you do not have to do this voluntarily and they can not compel you to unless they have grounds to suspect you of an offence.
However, if you have nothing to hide then you may be better off helping them voluntarily because if they do arrest you they can seize various things (eg phones, computers, etc.) and get access to your financial records.
Items they do seize they can hold on to for a long time.