29905560

My girl is a Benin national and is travelling to the uk on the 29th January, but she has

My girl is a Benin national and is travelling to the uk on the 29th January, but she has been told that she needs 5k as a BTA but this can be shown in travellers cheques, is this true
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has she asked you to pay for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but that it will be travellers cheques and I can have them back when she gets to the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been told by her travel agent that this is a requirement
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I presume you have not met her in person yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No only Internet and photos over the last 6 months I think she is true she has not asked for money but I have gone 50/50 with her on the air ticket and visa application which she had to go to the Embassy in Nigeria for, but she has not travelled before
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid to say that it is likely you are involved in a scam. There is no such thing as a BTA and it is commonly used by scammers across the world as a reason for them to ask money from their victims. The likelihood is that anything you have paid already was not for the reasons it was required and this is just another step in the process to try and get money from you. This quick thread explains the BTA in a little bit more detail and how it is used in scams: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7231 So I strongly suggest that you do not send any more money and cut all contact with the person, regardless of who they say they are. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer, I will not be sending anything for a BTA and if it is a scam then I have only lost £400.00 whilst it is enough to lose it is not £5K
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Indeed , you have lost little compared to what it could have been. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you