29905560

I run a pet crematorium. If I cremate an owners pet, return

I run a pet crematorium. If I cremate an owners pet, return the ashes to them in one of my containers but they do not pay, can I legally state that I will collect them if they continue not to pay?
Further if I bury a pet and the owners do not pay what can I do with the pet?
I expect this is a little bit different than your normal questions?????
Regards ***** ***** ***********
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When you say you want to collect them, do you mean collect the ashes, the container or both?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - When you say you want to collect them, do you mean collect the ashes, the container or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ashes of their pet are in a container supplied by myself and I wonder if I can collect only my container and leave the ashes with them or take everything?
Regards ***** ***** ***********
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied earlier. Until payment has been received for the goods or services you have provided you will legally own the items you have given to the customers as part of the deal. So if you sell them a container and charge a fee for the cremation but they do not pay, you can ask for the container back. The ashes will not legally belong to anyone as no one owns a corpse or the ashes of a deceased so you can either take these back or ask them to keep them. If they do not return the container as requested then toy cannot force them to do so but you can pursue them for its value plus the value of the services you have offered.
Similarly, if you bury a pet but they do not pay, you can state that unless they do so you will dispose of the corpse. Of course you should try and give them a deadline to pay by but if they have been warned and no payment is made then you can dispose of the corpse via other means, even if it results in them not having any corpse or ashes left to collect. Of course it should be a last resort but still an option if necessary.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you