29905560

I've moved into a new house, and had the feeling the neighbours have been spying on m

Customer Question

I've moved into a new house, and had the feeling the neighbours have been spying on me. Then over the Christmas period, I noticed the neighbor spying on my attractive daughter from his bedroom window, then later saw him trying to peer into her window from his. As they seem to follow us from room to room and their conversation through the wall loudly suggests they know what we are doing. Can I take them to court to get them to admit or deny that they have my house under surveillance. I'm looking for surveillance devices around my house
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please provide examples of what they are saying that would make it seem like they know what you are doing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One occasion they knew i was in bed having a lie in following a heavy night on the first week of January. I didnt start back to the following week so I'm assuming they were thinking I should be out at work. They shouted out to the effect "drunk B**** still in bed", my curtains were closed and I'd made no sound however they were in the next room to me being very vocal. The time was around 11 AM.
The curtains of my room are quite thin and my bed is raised up, so it could be I guess observed from their back garden and shed if they have some kind of thermal camera, however they were in the very next room to me. Then when I awoke and showered not for the first time I've heard them shouting things which seem to be derogatory towards me and my body shape, being overweight, which makes me think they also have some kind of surveillance system in my bathroom. This is a big concern as my wife and daughter and mother use this bathroom during their visits.
Then there appears to be things said, when I move to the living room again derogatory towards me, and again the neighbors seem to follow me to the room on the opposites side of the wall. I've purchased a camera detection system to try to detect and spy cameras in my property, and I have a recording device to try to listen to record them when they do it. However I have lost my temper during this and banged loudly on the wall with an empty coal bucket a few nights ago and it has seemed to stop them saying things, but i'm worried about my familys privacy. I told my wife about it for the first time last night and now she is scared to be alone so I want to know what legal basis I can defend myself from suspected spying. I've found private security companies that will sweep the house for surveillance devices, and this may give me some peace of mind however they are expensive.
Thanks Jon
You cannot take them to court just to get them to admit or deny that they are spying on you. If you believe that they are harassing you then you could make a claim for harassment and in the process ask them questions once you get to a hearing and hope that they tell the truth as they will be giving it under oath. However, no one can guarantee that they will actually be telling the truth so you cannot be certain that just by going to court you know what is actually happening.
The issue you face here is that without any direct evidence it will be difficult to take it further. You think that you may be spied on but there is no actual evidence to back that up. Just because you have heard them say things which you believe they would only know by having spied on you does not necessarily mean that it is what they have been doing. It could still be a coincidence as far as the law is concerned.
So if they are really spying on you then that could be an issue for the police to deal with. They will have the power to search their premises if necessary to see if there is any spying equipment and that could prompt them to take further action. Do not rely on court though – that won’t be too helpful for you in the circumstances.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.