LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I am in the process of selling my house and the solicitor has

I am in the process of selling my house and the solicitor has found on the filed plan which shows my property, that my front garden appears to be owed by someone else.
I have lived in my house since 1989 and have never heard anything about this. Is there not a law that says if you have lived/used something for a certain amount of time with no interruption tat it becomes your property ?
I am confused and don't know what to do
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 yeasr experience. I will try to help you with this.
The doctrine you are thinking of is known as adverse possession. If you have occupied land as your own with no objections or permission for 12 uninterrupted years then you can gain ownership of the land.
This can be procedurally quite tricky and take a bit of time and you should ask your solicitor to advise you in this aspect of your property sale specifcially.