75100385

My builder has run out of money and is unable to complete the

Customer Question

My builder has run out of money and is unable to complete the work on an extension to our existing property. We have a legally binding contract. There is a balance of 18k to be paid to the builder but approx 10k of work outstanding. Because they are unable to unable to continue and therefore breached the contract do we have to pay them any more money.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you know the cost of finishing it please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We estimate accept 10k.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Then yes you can withhold it to get the work done yourself. If it turns out for example its only £9,000 to complete the works then you would owe the builder the balance, ie £1,000. If it turns out its £12,000 to get the work done then you would be able to sue the builder for the difference of £2,000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify. We want them to continue with the contract and on completion would pay them the balance of 18k. Even though they have decided not to honour the contract and walk away would we legally be bound to pay them the difference between the work that is still to be completed and the 18k outstanding.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Because it would have cost £18,000 - your loss is any difference or extra that it costs you.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid extra for a conversation via telephone. My number is ***** 742064. I assume you contact me.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will call now.