13262538

I have been married years. We lived as a married couple

I have been married for 3 years. We lived as a married couple in my house for 4 months then moved abroad the house is mortgaged in my name and the name of someone else, My son from a previous marriage still lives in the house, My wife is now looking to end our marriage and has returned to the UK. during the time she lived at the UK address she made no contribution towards the mortgage or any utilities. Is she entitled to have the house sold and/or have my son removed from the property.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As part of a financial settlement in divorce consideration needs to be taken of all your assets and her assets, income and full financial position (both in the UK and abroad), as well as your dependant children's needs, your needs and your wife's needs as well as various other factors in deciding what is an equitable settlement for all. So consideration does need to be made in relation to the home that you have an interest in.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been married for 3 years. We lived...
I have been married for 3 years. We lived as a married couple in my house for 4 months then moved abroad the house is mortgaged in my name and the name of someone else, My son from a previous marriage still lives in the house, My wife is now looking to end our marriage and has returned to the UK.during the time she lived at the UK address she made no contribution towards the mortgage or any utilities. Is she entitled to have the house sold and/or have my son removed from the property. This was my original question in my opinion you have failed to answer exactly my point. I am aware that considerations are given to this and that depending on circumstances, but my point is over the continued residency of my son and also whether at any point I can be forced to sell the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my opinion you have failed to answer exactly my point. I am aware that considerations are given to this and that depending on circumstances, but my point is over the continued residency of my son and also whether at any point I can be forced to sell the house
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
It is a possibility that you may be forced to sell the home by the court if her needs cannot be fairly met from other assets, however, she would only be entitled to seek a share of your portion of the property.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 yearsTo be able to give some practical indications we will need the following informationHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.Is the other person on the mortgage entitled to a share of the equity - if so how much?Where was your wife living prior to moving in with you?What other assets are there and what income do you each have?Clare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is worth approximately £110,000 and there is approximately £25,000 left on the mortgage. The other person on the mortgage is an ex partner who vacated the premises 12 years ago and has never contributed any payments. Prior to my marriage I co habited with her at the house for about 12 months, Prior to that her own house was sold off under an IVA agreement. My wife has no income and I have a pension of £980 per month