Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

There What are the consequences of registering a property

Customer Question

Hello there
What are the consequences of registering a property on either husband's or wife's name as compared to that of both husband and wife's name.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Legally, the property will be in the name of whichever party it is registered in - so if it is in the husband's sole name this is what will be recorded on the title for the property.
However, as they are married, if the property is the matrimonial home the unregistered spouse will still have matrimonial home rights and is entitled to occupy the property and claim a share of the property. If the property is not the matrimonial home, then the spouse without legal title will still be able to have that property considered in a financial settlement in the event of a divorce.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a rating.