Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have a misdemeaner charge a marajuana

Hello - I have a misdemeaner charge for smoking a marajuana joint in Hyde Park when I was a student in July 1977. I paid a 15 pound fine and was told that my record would be expunged in 2 years, however it has come up on an employment verification. Is there a way I can get that record removed?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What kind of employment are you applying for? Have they withdrawn a job offer as a result of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - it came up 2 years ago and my manager waived it but I am now applying for a new job and it will come up again. The job is in the financial services sector.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi understood. If you are applying for a job in the financial services sector then the employer is entitled to apply for enhanced disclosure. This will show information of all conviction information whether spent or not and also anything on the police records that does not amount to a conviction. Unfortunately if you accepted this charge at the time there is no way of getting it removed from the record for the purpose of applications in the financial services sector. Whilst it is clearly embarrassing and an inconvenience I do not think it will prevent you from getting work, many people do have 'something' on their record and as it is from so long ago and and is unrelated to fraud or anything that they are going to have a great concern about I do not think it will concern an employer. It may be worth coming clean about it at the point you are made a job offer and they seek the enhanced disclosure. I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions about this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will phone you in the next 5 minutes.